What is CrossFit?
The aim of CrossFit Scunthorpe is to forge a broad, general and inclusive fitness program that will enhance your ability to Survive, Compete & Thrive in any given situation or environment within a community of like minded people.
"CrossFit is, quite simply, the Sport of Fitness. We've learned that harnessing the natural camaraderie, competition and fun of sport or game yields an intensity that cannot be matched by other means" (Greg Glassman).
CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at relatively high intensity, programmed to increase work capacity across broad times and modal domains (CrossFit.com).
Beginners start by attending our 6 week CrossFit Foundation Course. We use this as an assessment for each individual which facilitates a smooth progression from basic bodyweight movements to more advanced technical skills. We ensure that everyone moves well before they move more, focusing on technique, intensity then volume.
Fitness, consisting of 10 primary components;
- Cardiovascular / respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility - The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance -The ability to control the placement of the body's center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
*By contrast improvements in coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy come about through practice. Practice refers to activity that improves performance through changes in the nervous system. (Components 7 - 10)
*Power and speed are adaptations of both training AND practice. (Components 5 & 6)
In essence the needs of Professional & Recreational Athletes' differ by degree, not by kind and they should therefore be programmed and assessed in the same way. We scale load and intensity relative to each individual.
Work hard, have fun and stay humble while throwing some High 5's and Fist bumps along the way.
Enjoy the process at CrossFit Scunthorpe.